For an extended list of publications, see our publications page.
Mental and Behavioral Health
- Shensa A, Sidani JE, Escobar-Viera CG, Switzer GE, Primack BA, Choukas-Bradley S. Emotional support from social media and face-to-face relationships: associations with depression risk among young adults. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2019.
- Primack BA, Karim SA, Shensa A, Bowman B, Knight J, Sidani JE. Positive and negative social media experiences and social isolation. American Journal of Health Promotion. In press, 2018.
- Escobar-Viera CD, Whitfield DL, Wessel CB, Shensa A, Sidani JE, Brown Jr AL, Chandler CJ, Hoffman BL, Marshal MP, Primack BA. For better or for worse? A systematic review of the evidence on social media use and depression among lesbian, gay, and bisexual minorities. JMIR Mental Health. 2018;5(3):e10496. PMID: 30037786 PMCID: PMC6079300.
Waterpipe Tobacco Use
Alcohol and Other Substance Use
- Primack BA, Colditz JB, Rosen E, Giles LM, Jackson K, Kraemer KL. Portrayal of alcohol brands favored by underage youth on YouTube. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 2017;78(5), 654–664. PMCID: PMC4451204
- Primack BA, Colditz JB, Pang K, Jackson KM. Portrayal of alcohol intoxication on YouTube. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2015;39(3):496-503. PMCID: PMC4510943
- Primack BA, McClure A, Li Z, Sargent JD. Receptivity to and recall of alcohol brand appearances in US popular music and alcohol-related behaviors. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2014;38(6):1737-44. PMID: 24716496. PMCID: PMC4047148
- Hoffman BL, Rosenthal EL, Colditz JB, McGarry R, Primack BA. Use of Twitter to assess viewer reactions to the medical drama Code Black. Journal of Health Communication. 2018;23(3):244-253.
- Hoffman BL, Shensa A, Wessel C, Hoffman RM, Primack BA. Exposure to fictional medical television and health: A systematic review. Health Education Research. 2017;32(2):107-123.PMID: 28334962
- Hoffman BL, Hoffman RM, Wessel C, Shensa A, Woods MS, Primack BA. Use of fictional medical television in medical education: A systematic review. Advances in Health Sciences Education. 2018;23(1):201-216. PMID: 28083814
Clinical & Translational Science
- Hoffman BL, Felter EM, Chu K, Shensa A, Hermann C, Wolynn T, Williams D, Primack BA. It’s not all about autism: The emerging landscape of anti-vaccination sentiment on Facebook. Vaccine. 2019;37(16):2216-2223.